Maternal Newborn Assessment
1. A nurse is performing a vaginal exam on a client who is in active labor. The nurse notes the umbilical cord protruding through the cervix. Which of the following actions should the nurse take?
Administer oxytocin to the client via intravenous infusion. Apply oxygen at 2 L/min via nasal cannula.
Prepare for insertion of an intrauterine pressure catheter. Assist the client into the knee-chest position.
2. A nurse is assessing a newborn who is 48 hr old and is experiencing opioid withdrawals. Which of the following findings should the nurse expect?
Moderate tremors of the extremities Axillary temperature 36.1° C (96.9° F) Excessive sleeping
3. A nurse is reviewing a client's medical record and notes that the client is taking tamoxifen. The nurse should identify that tamoxifen is used to treat which of the following conditions?
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma Endometriosis
Polycystic ovary syndrome
4. A nurse is caring for a client who is receiving oxytocin to augment labor. The client has an intrauterine pressure catheter and an internal fetal scalp electrode for monitoring. Which of the following is an indication that the nurse should discontinue the infusion?
Contraction frequency every 3 min Contraction duration of 100 seconds Fetal heart rate with moderate variability
Fetal heart rate of 118/min
5. A nurse providing dietary teaching for a client who is at 29 weeks of gestation and has
phenylketonuria. Which of the following suggested foods should the nurse include in the teaching?
A peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread A sliced apple and red grapes
A chocolate chip cookie with a glass of skim milk A scrambled egg with cheddar cheese
Download all 13 pages for € 9,99Add document to cart